Friday, December 17, 2010

My dad's birthday and the birth of Le Ruffec!


After a final session of 4 hours non-stop drawing (no food, no bathroom stops) he's done!
This one I made for my dad. It's his birthday tomorrow, the 18th! After asking about his favorite bird when he was young he said: "The Ruffec!"
In the old days, my grandfather was very active in the sport of pigeon racing. And when my dad was a young boy he wanted to have a pigeon to look after too. He got a pair of pigeons he could pet and feed. And to everyone's surprise the male of these lovebirds flew from Ruffec, France home to his lady in the second fastest time! So my dad as a young boy won a prize with his bird! After a while it turned out that the first prize winner had cheated and my dad got the first prize: 25 gulden($15). Alas, this was confiscated by granddad to buy food for the pigeons. But the honor and pride he felt, caring for the birds lasts longer!

Happy birthday dad! Here's to many many healthy and happy years to come!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails