Sunday, July 19, 2009

My favorite bird.

Jennifer Hutchings from Dances with flowers is a bit under the weather I am afraid. We've been e-mailing back and forth about birds and big plans but now she's ill. She's asked me to write a guest post for her blog in the time she is doing her best to getting better. Her question was to write something about my garden or my favorite bird. I of course chose the latter:

My favorite bird.
When someone asks me what my favorite bird is, I start browsing through my head and I think of all the different species.
The starling is fantastic because he walks so swiftly and produces the greatest sounds.
I like the blue titmouse because he wears a blue hat. The modest dunnock that moves in intervals of a second, freezeframing before hopping one step further.
The serious-looking little owl I am currently working on, because the bird I am working on is always the one that is mostly on my mind.
Then I get to the blackbird, the European blackbird, that is completely black with only that bright orange bill, obviously one of my favorites, the macho man in my garden. And then I think of one particular blackbird. The one that isn't blessed with an even set of black feathered that dress him. This blackbird has a bald spot on his head around his bill. It looks like he has a piece of his head missing. He was there when we just moved into our new house and he's seen us work hard to renovate the place. Now almost 2 years later he is still there. He always picks a spot on the roof of our shed, or the top of a cut down tree. He enjoys the sun there and I watch him because he looks a bit goofy with his bald spot. He is not beautiful like the other blackbirds. When you look at him you immediatly see that he's not the most handsome blackbird in my neighborhood.
I used to worry about him. Knowing how hard humans can be on someone who looks different. How people stare at others with even the slightest imperfection.
But now I no longer worry, because I have seen him feed his young. He has a woman and a family and that certainly gives a blackbird happiness!!
You see blackbirds don't care about a perfect face or body. Female blackbirds listen to the song of a blackbird. They listen to what the male has to say to them, and then fall in love. We have a lot to learn from birds.

Update: see the post on Jen's blog here: http://danceswithflowers.wordpress.com/2009/07/19/guest-author-myrte-dezeeuw-of-mirthquake/

1 comment:

twostraycats said...

Just lovely :)
Reading your post has brightened my day!
Thank you
Lily

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails