Friday, May 29, 2009

Lilac-breasted Roller (Coracias caudata)


My sister went to Africa a while ago and came back with the most amzing stories of colorful birds she had seen. She made a couple of pictures and e-mailed them to me. Now going to Africa is on my Things to do list, but I am not too sure I will be checking that box anytime soon. However she gave me a pretty good idea of the birds and particularly the Lilac-breasted Roller (wonderful name!) I started researching this gorgeous beauty a little and put her high on my Birds-to-be-Illustrated-Long-List (BILL). I hear everyone talking about shortlists all the time, but I can seem to be able to make one. I digress... Then my boyfriend's uncle went to Africa too and came back with other amazing photos about this particular bird too. So that was enough. The Lilac-breasted Roller went to spot #1. I made a series of American birds a few weeks ago, and now I was going to do a series for Africa. I want to keep to a certain area so the birds have a connection. ( and I will always have an excuse for another series to focus on another part of that continent) Being in Africa with my search for birds, I also take advantage of the situation to pick the most colorful ones. Of course there are more amazing birds, but I have had it with black and greys for the moment, and I am in the mood for exotic shades!
The other 2 or 3 birds I will pick I am not too sure. First I will see what my sister and boyfriend's uncle have on their memorycard for me!

2 comments:

kraplap said...

what a beauty ! Looks pretty small.

Maureen'sFoodPassion said...

What a beautiful bird! I'm actually going on a trip next month to my birthplace, the Seychelles Islands, which is a set of tropical islands that is technically a part of Africa. (It's near Madagascar). I am VERY excited to see their birds as this will be my first trip there as a serious birder =) I will definitely share pictures. Who knows, maybe you'll have another project for me down the road ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails