Thursday, October 16, 2008

::TUTORIAL:: New old dining table chairs STEP 2

So now we've finished step one we're going to focus on painting.

First what you do is check everything once more. Remember, for a good covering paint, you need to remove all paint. I am going to paint the chairs with a coloured varnish or stain. The colour must match the colour of our table. So I picked an oak colour. You can get all kinds of colours.


The left over paint will not be fully covered in this light stain. But I like that, because it gives you an old look.
Another thing, if you want to consolidate your chairs because they are not sturdy anymore, this is the time. I drilled holes in the places where the pieces of wood connect. And I placed 2 wooden plugs in there to stop the friction of the chair when you sit on it. Make sure there are 2 wooden plugs there, and not one, that won't stop the joint from moving. With a file and sanding paper you can easily shape the plugs.





I turn the chairs upside down and paint everything, even under the chair. If the wood will expand and shrink still, it will do it less if all is painted.

I paint 3 thin layers, and then I have a nearly perfect match with our dining table. The thinner the better, it dries easily and it won't leave dark 'teardrops' of paint.

At this point I am going to cover the bottom with cotton sheeting. Pre-iron the sheeting because cotton shrinking is strong enough to pull your chair apart. I use a small nailgun to secure the cotton over the bottom. Be careful with this tool. I have a very light weight version, which does the trick perfectly well. But if you have something bigger and electric, I would advise you to google "nail gun accident" and you will see that this is not a toy.

First place the sheeting over the bottom, secure the middle of each side and then work your way to the corners, folding the cotton as you go.


You don't have to do this very tightly. I always use a hammer to ram the nails in a little further. I'd hate it if my guest would hurt themselves sitting down at my table.

The last step can be seen here.

2 comments:

Kreativlink said...

Wow! That looks like a lot of work. But you're doing it like a pro. Can't wait to see it finished! :)

ingermaaike said...

I love reupholstering! You are doing a very thorough job there :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails